Thursday, September 17, 2009

Creating Webste

I was very excited since last week because I was assigned the most interesting task since I work for the company - creating local website!!!

I totally have no idea how to do that. I don't even know how a website works, from the beginning till the end. It's not like I am computer-illiterate, but my knowledge is limited. I use the computer like everybody else does (or at least most of the people in the world), for checking emails, friendster, facebook, streaming videos, but most of the time for work. Oh, I love to do work with Excel...Anyway, what I am trying to say here is that when it becomes more technical, my mind goes blank.

So I started to ask around, talk to my IT Manager (I feel bad for disturbing him all the time because he is really busy), do some research online, eat five times a day, sleep more than 10 hours a day...I did almost everything I can to find out more about creating websites and finally I can break it down into a few steps.

1. Register Domain Name

You can google the list of companies in your area, which will register your domain name (if available) for you. You must have a registered domain name to continue.
I use www.i-net.com.au and it will cost between AUD$19 to AUD$119 per annum.

2. Web Hosting

Usually the company registering your domain name will provide web hosting as well. For this, depending on the type of your plan/ package ranges between AUD$10.95 to AUD$85 per month, maybe more for other companies, I am not sure.

3. Web Design

Yeah, here comes the fun part. You should be provided a free site builder and you can start to create your website immediately. I used RVSiteBuilder and it has a step by step guide to help me. Start creating the site, choosing template to use as website background, customizing it and typing in the contents in  your webpage. Anytime you can preview the web to see how it looks like once it goes live. Take as long as you want to design your webste.

4. Publish Web

Finally, when you are happy with how your website looks like, click on the publish button and ta-da...there you go, your masterpiece! (-_-)

I know many people out there know how to create website professioinally. I am just a beginner and it was not easy trying to find out how to start and what to do, that's why I am posting this article. So, if you are also very new in this, I hope this helps.

If you would like to have a look at the website which I have just created with the help of the I-Net consultant, here you go ---> www.getinge.co.nz

Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment